The United States branch Mint located near Dahlonega, Georgia in Lumpkin County was a result of the Mint Act of 1835. This Act established three new branch mint for the United States. It authorized a branch mint in New Orleans to mint gold and silver coins. Another mint was to be created in Charlotte for the mintage of gold coins. Lastly it also authorized the mint located near Dahlonega.
The Dahlonega Mint was built during the Georgia Gold Rush. It produced $1, $2.50, $3, and $5 gold coins from 1838 to 1861 until it was seized by the Confederate States of America. After the American Civil War, the United States government decided not to reopen the mint. It sat unused until 1873 when the North Georgia College was established. It served as their main educational and administrative building until it was destroyed by fire in December 1878. A new building was built on the foundations of the old mint building and is still used by the college today.